You have already looked at your communication from your own perspective. This assignment will give you even greater insight into your communication, but from the perspective of others.
For part 2 of this assignment you will first, interview three people you know well and ask them questions about what it is like to have a conversation with you.
Challenge yourself to:
(1) seek out individuals who are willing to take this assignment seriously and not hold back to avoid a difficult conversation
(2) choose individuals from different aspects of your life (e.g. not all family members), and (3) go into this assignment with an open mind and a gracious heart.
As you complete your interviews, encourage your interviewees to answer each question thoroughly and give examples to support their answers. You may have to ask them lots of questions to get good answers from them. Be humble and listen. Don’t take it personally or defend yourself.
You will ask your interviewee’s the following questions:
- How am I at articulating my needs, opinions, views, or concerns?
- How am I as a listener?
- What aspects of my nonverbal behavior are effective? What can be improved?
- What are my communication strengths?
- What are my communication weaknesses?
- What is it like to have a conversation with me?
Make sure to take notes during your interview. A good set of notes will help you complete your write up.
After you have interviewed three people, you will write and submit a self-reflection. In your reflection make sure to cite your sources. Whether that is from an interview, the textbook, or the self-assessments, your sources should be cited correctly. Use this resource (Links to an external site.) and “citations and references” (Links to an external site.) to help you.
Use the following bold headings for your reflection paper and include what you learned from each of your interviews about each of these topics.
- Articulating needs, opinions, views or concerns
- Nonverbal communication
- Communication strengths
- Communication weaknesses
- Having a conversation with me
- Summary (for this part, reflect on what you learned, how this assignment impacted you, and what changes (if any) you might explore for the future.
- 4 pages
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- Times New Roman font